Monday, August 25, 2008

Day Job and Writing

Have a dilemma, ladies and gentlemen.

Seems my day job boss thinks I am not taking my position seriously enough and that my writing is the reason for my lack of "sacrifice." In his estimation, I should view my job as a teacher similar to that of a doctor or lawyer, i.e. some personal time is required to do the job well. I'm not to complain about my lack of pay, nor am I supposed to cite my need for promotion and writing time when asked to stay after school to participate in a discipline program I don't use nor agree with.

Now, here's a quick description of my job duties: not only am I to teach computers and library skills to 600 Kindergarten through 8th grade students, but I'm also supposed to coordinate and teach training sessions for the teachers on how to use computers and technology in their classrooms, repair any faulty or non-working technology tools (computers, LCD projectors, TVs, DVD/VCR machines, printers, fax machines, copiers, etc.), set up and break down 50-72 computers for testing sessions 3 times a year, schedule, and monitor those testing sessions for 3-4 weeks. Of course as the monitor/proctor of the testing, I have to make sure all 600 students are in the test roster, develop and maintain a spreadsheet to record all of their test scores in 3-4 tests and make sure teachers know how to access, read, understand, and implement the information on the test results.

I'm supposed to do all this in the course of the day, while teaching classes, writing lesson plans, and keeping a smile on my face.

I freely admit, my problems are extremely minor in comparison to those people who don't have jobs, are homeless, ill, etc. but in the six weeks leading up to the start of school, my ambivalent feelings about my day job have kept me from really doing any kind of writing.

And that isn't acceptable to me.

Here's the dilemma--how do I keep from telling my principal just where to shove his job expectations for me, especially since I'm, in essence, performing 2-3 jobs and barely getting paid for one?

I'd really like to know, because it took everything I had to just enter my school last Monday and not tell the PTB to go F themselves.

2 comments:

Cedar said...

That must be absolutely frustrating! Hugs! I miss you.

Diablo Blanco Club said...

I miss you too Cedar, it is very frustrating, but I take the good with the bad, and sometimes the good definitely outweighs the bad.