Tuesday, January 25, 2011

It's That Little Bar On the Left

Blinkers. Turn signals. Indicators. I don't care what you call them, after several harrowing encounters and years as a defensive driver I have determined that there can only be two reasons why people fail to use them.
1-- No matter what their age, once a driver slides behind the wheel of his car, truck, or SUV; or a rider straddles her motorcycle or scooter, that person channels the memories of the drivers/riders of the late 19th Century. What better explanation is there than that when you consider it was only in the early days of the automobile that the concept of turn signals were foreign and unheard of. Heck, there weren't even windshields, side view mirrors, headlights, or roofs on the original cars.
Or
2-- Drivers believe a hive mentality, very much like the Borg from STNG, engages and every other driver is psychically connected to each other so signalling changes or turns is irrelevant.
That's all I can think is happening when some MORON decides to slide into my lane as if all the laws of physics are suspended just for him the moment he twists the key in the ignition. I mean really, is it impossible to push that little bar on the left up or down to give a warning about where you're going? Is it?
Am I alone in this frustrating observation? Apparently so, based on the evidence I've collected in my travels throughout this country.
**Sigh**

5 comments:

Susan said...

Drives me crazy. Lately I've been feeling anachronistic when using the turn signal, as if I'm from a previous time when manners, and using your turn signal, still meant something. Apparently, it isn't cool to signal your intentions. Or perhaps I'm just a grouchy old woman LOL

Qwillia Rain said...

Yay! I'm not the only one. I know what you mean, Susan, it drives me nuts and then other people look at you like, "what's your problem? Isn't it obvious I wanted that lane and not this one?"
My mantra when I get behind the wheel is:
Breathe in; Breathe out; go hit a tree
The last part is for the idiots on the road around me. LOL

Fiona McGier said...

My 4 young adult kids say that they learned to swear driving in the car with me! (Also to "slam-dance" to punk music while in their car-seats, but that's another story.) I keep a running commentary going as to the intelligence level of the self-absorbed around me who drive as if they need yellow lights on top of their vehicles, so the rest of us will know that THEY are the only important ones on the road, and the rest of use need to get out of their way, let them go first, let them race up next to us then butt in at the last minute when their lane closes, etc etc. The turn signal thing is just part of their sense of entitlement. When my blood pressure gets too high, I turn on very loud music, the industrial rock kind, or blues, and I ignore the rudeness, rejoicing that I'm not a part of their family, so I don't have to deal with them anymore.

Qwillia Rain said...

and I'm sure, Fiona, that you've taught your children that if they become one of those self-entitled so-and-sos that you'll personally play bumper cars on the freeway with them, right? LOL
I know what you mean about the music. I do the same thing when the number of idiots starts wearing thin.

Fiona McGier said...

When they were little, my kids used to point to particularly egregious offenders and say, "Look, Mom, his car really needs those orange and yellow lights on top, so we'd all know he's a pompous prick!" I warned them not to tell Gramma that! LOL!